Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Bully on the Playground

So there's a bully in my design class. Yes, that's right. A bully in college. And I know that sounds rediculous, but he seriously picks on people and it's so stupid. It's mostly things like making fun of our projects that we turn in, or telling us how little we know about anything in the class. (Did I mention that this is a beginners design class?) Of course this happens for the first 15 minutes until the teacher gets there, so it's not like she ever sees it. This sounds so elementary! It really is quite dumb. But he exists and he drives me crazy.


Which brings me to what happened the last time we were in class. We had a photo montage due where we had to take two photos and blend them together in Photoshop. I used a couple of my wedding pictures and it turned out pretty nice. On the days our final projects are due we put them up on the board for the entire class to see our work. This particular project had to be an 8.5 x 11 and could have white borders, but no less than .125 inches could be cut off each side. So if we had the borders we were fine.

Well...one of the girls in the class and I were putting our projects up on the board, and both of them had white border around it. Which, once again, was optional on the project. As we're sitting down the "bully" stood up and pointed to our pictures. He proceeded to tell us that we needed to cut the borders off our projects. When we corrected him he told us that it didn't matter if it's optional or not because our projects looked "unprofessional" and "tacky" anyway. Then he proceeded to say, "Your projects look like you just picked a picture, printed it off, then threw it up on the board." Jerk.

So I decided to lash back. I had pretty much had enough. I didn't say much, just to shut up and quit acting like he's better than the rest of us. It felt good to say that to him! I had been wanting to say something for a while but ended up waiting till he "bullied" me. I told him that he must be insecure about his own work or he wouldn't put ours down all the time. Maybe that was a little mean. But he deserved it. I was so sick of him picking on the rest of us! It's a beginners course, for crying out loud. I guess I'll go to class this week and see if he says anything else to us. If he does, I won't be afraid to fight back!

Images via k-state.edu

4 comments:

Brad said...

Nice! It does feel good letting your feelings out! You tell him!

Chelsi said...

Grrr! It's hard not to say anything to people like that. You weren't mean... I'm sure you could have said more. I'm sure other people were grateful you finally took a stand. You go girl!

Morrows said...

I am glad you stood up to him. I hope he keeps his mouth shut from now on!

Amber said...

OH my gosh that would make me so mad. You know I would definitely say something. He's lucky I'm not in that class. Good for you for saying something. What a jerk!

Post a Comment