Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Love the Olympics!

I just love the summer Olympics! My family makes fun of me because I get so into them. I've been trying to keep up with everything I can and watch as much as I can when I'm not working. I've lost sleep this week staying up so late watching replays of everything I've missed! But I've always really enjoyed the Olympics. This year has been a lot of fun. There have been a lot of awesome moments, but here are a few of my favorite.

__________________

The first of my favorite moments was when the United States Men's Gymnastics Team won the bronze. They went to Beijing knowing that most people didn't expect them to get a medal at all. Without the Hamm brothers, many people thought they had no chance in medaling. Although they struggled a little, they still came out taking the bronze. I loved watching their alternate, Sasha Artemev, get their highest score after his pommel horse routine! I was holding my breath almost the entire time. Out of all events, he was chosen for one event, the last of the six, and was the last team member to compete. How crazy is that?! I love it.


Last night was a tough one for the USA Women's Gymnastics Team. But I still loved watching them. After China's team captain fell off the balance beam during her routine the United States had a huge opportunity to take over the lead and take the gold. But it didn't exactly turn out that way. Alicia Sacramone struggled on her beam and floor routines, and I just felt so bad for her! During an interview after the medal ceremony she blamed herself for the team's silver win instead of the gold, and I just wanted to reach into the TV and give her a hug. I thought these girls did such a great job last night, it was such a fun event to watch. I'm so excited for the men's all-around tonight!

And how can we forget these boys! Was that not one of the coolest moments in Olympic history or what?! I think the best part of these four winning the gold at that relay against the French the other night was how arrogant the French were beforehand. I believe the phrase, "We're going to smash the US," is what comes to mind. I'm so glad they didn't! That race was so intense how the US came up behind the French at the very end. That's what I call a competition! That was some good TV right there.



I just love the Olympic games! I can't imagine all the years of training and hard work these people go through to get there. But I'm glad they do it so I can watch them on TV and cheer them on as they go for the gold.

I'm so excited for the men's all-around gymnastics tonight!

2 comments:

Criscell said...

LOVE this post! And I totally agree with you about Alicia! I felt soooo bad for her last night, poor girl. Isn't it amazing to watch Michael Phelps swim?! He is incredible.

Baileys said...

WOW Alli, I am the same way. I just record them all and then me and kyle go through them after we put the kiddies to bed. Last nights mens all around was a little disappointing. Can't wait for womens, but those chinese are just too dang good!!!

Post a Comment