Wednesday, July 16, 2008

After Today I Really Am Rethinking Education

Well its official. I hate finals week! My day today can prove it. It was full of chaos, and I need to talk about it for a minute - ha ha. It all started with a public relations campaign I have due in a class tomorrow. It's a pretty big project that involves making a book about the campaign and a media kit. Good times! I had finished the whole thing, I just needed to print it. I was also needing to print a 15-page paper for another class. So I went to the Spori building this morning because I also needed to add a picture to the cover of my book. When I opened the document for the book and added the picture I realized I saved it wrong and it was pixelated. Due to the lack of time, I decided I didn't care. So I saved it and continued to print my 15-page paper. After I ran my I-Card at the printer and paid the money, I noticed a pretty red light on the printer indicating the paper was out. And of course there was no one around who could add more paper. So I decided to go to the library to print it.

The library is crazy busy during finals week. It is so hard to find a computer. So after aimlessly walking around trying to find one to use I finally found one. When I went to print the paper of course the screen says there was an error connecting to the printer. And to add to it, my I-Card was missing. We have to have that card to print on campus so it's kind of important. At first I thought it was no big deal and I would get a new one at the beginning of the fall semester. Then it dawned on me that I have three more finals over the next couple of days and I need my I-Card to take the tests. So in a panic I retraced my steps back to the Spori and couldn't find it. I needed to call the school and figure out what I needed to do. I then decided to give up on that for now and go to Quick Ship 'n Copy to print off my book for PR before anything else. (Can you imagine how I'm feeling in my brain at this point? I can't even describe it!)

When I got there I had them open up the documents for my book on their computer from my jump drive. I had saved the cover and the rest of the book in two separate documents. And the only one coming up was the cover. And the picture I had added to it this morning was missing. Awesome. I apparently didn't save the book right, it needed to be saved as a pdf. So I had the girl print the cover and I would figure out a way to get the rest printed. Frustrating! So I went home (in tears, mind you) and called the school about my I-Card. I just needed to come in and get a new card, at a $10 fee. So off to the Manwaring Center for a new card I went.

It took a while to get the new card, after the girl at the desk sent me on a wild goose chase to get my I-number that I can't seem to memorize for the life of me. After finally getting my new card I decided to head back to the library to export the book document as a pdf. When I found a computer with Microsoft Word 2007 I opened up the book and clicked to save it properly. Of course, the program wasn't updated with that kind of add-in so I had to install it. After about ten minutes of waiting, it tells me the installation failed because I didn't have the authority to install anything on a campus computer. So I couldn't save it properly. I thought I was going to break down in tears right there in the library!

After some thought I decided to chance the Copy Spot in the library and see if they could help me. And after a few clicks of the mouse my life was saved. I got the whole thing printed out, and I was on my way back to Quick Ship 'n Copy to bind it.

In the end, I got my book printed and bound, and it looks awesome! As far as the picture on the cover, I had to do some cutting and pasting (literally - that's not in computer talk, I actually cut that picture out and glued it on...classy, I know) and I didn't get the 15-page paper printed. After this day, I don't even want to chance it! I'm scared of what crazy adventure I might go on. One positive thing about this day is the fact that I got a new I-Card and I've needed a new one badly. My other one was about three years old and quite scary. I will be so grateful when finals are over! I have three tests left up till Friday, and then I move back to Idaho Falls. I can't wait!

PS -Thanks for letting me vent! I feel a lot better!

12 comments:

Brad said...

Wow sorry about all your troubles! At least you got it done! Hope your finals go well!

Jessica said...

What a day! I'm glad everything worked out in the end. Good luck with the upcoming finals!

The King's said...

Sounds like one of those days that you wish would just end or that never started. I am glad that you got through it though. Good luck with the rest of your finals!

Baileys said...

WOW ALLI!!! I can't believe you didn't give up! Good one on the "Copy" and "Paste" At least you made me laugh

Katie Lee said...

Wow, and here I was actually thinking about taken some courses... now you're making me re-think education! :) Sorry that things went bad, but I'm glad it all started working out near the end. Good luck on the rest!

Amber said...

Wow Al, that is quite the story. I did laugh a little though, I'm with Kaylie ha ha. But holy crap what a dumb day. I'm glad you got everything figured out and it looks great from what I saw! I can't wait for you to move home! I'm so freakin excited. Oh and I just wanted you to know that you will never move from the top of my friends and fam list. I permanently put you at number one. Because you'll always be first no matter what. I just wanted you to know that. Have a great day and good luck with the rest of school you'll do great. I love you

Amber said...

Oh and can you tell me why my name looks so weird on your comment page? I don't know how to fix it. I thought I did under "about us" but it still looks the same. Maybe it's because I fixed it after I posted the comment. guess we'll see when I post this...

Criscell said...

Oh my gosh--what a complete nightmare! You made being a stay-at-home mom sound super easy! As I was reading your post, all the horror stories from similar moments in my college career came back to me and I must say that I'm glad it's over! Good luck with all your finals! You'll do great I'm sure!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

That is terrible. I could actually feel the sick feeling I used to get just think about it. I am glad it worked out and I hope you do great on all your other finals!! Love ya-Sha

Neal and Angie said...

Poor thing. Sorry about your crazy day! Hope the rest of finals go well for you.

Kate Call said...

Sorry to hear about the crappy day!! but on a positive note.. you look so cute in your picture.. i have never taken a cute picture for a student ID card, drivers license, Lagoon pass... ect Ü ... so just know that you are adorable.. that will help with any day right??!!

Todd & Chelsea said...

Holy pooh! Can I just say that I laughed out loud when I read your comment about the wrap. Why? Because just two days ago I had one and thought, I need to tell ash and Alli about that. It is a good, less fattening alternative! I have to say though, I'm doing weight watchers and s & s sauce is NOT so good. HAHA. Also, so sorry about you bad day w/ stupid school. I definately had a few of those in my day. Just remember, it will be over before you know it!

Post a Comment