Wednesday, March 25, 2009

So Blessed

The last couple of months have not been the easiest for us. With my surgery in January we have had more bills than we would prefer. With medical, housing, cars...they just don't seem to end! For a little while it seemed like we were getting a different medical bill every day and for a different amount. We paid off the small ones in full and paid a small portion for the bigger ones. The statements showed what our insurance was covering, which just wasn't very much. It was frustrating to see the numbers.

Pretty soon we received a couple more bills that were a lot bigger than what we had anticipated. So we made a payment on the smallest one but decided to make a phone call before making any kind of payment on the bigger one. We just weren't sure what we were being billed for, and we wanted to make sure we weren't being double charged for any of the labs we had already paid for. The larger of the two bills was a little over $4,500.

I called the patient account services to ask them for specifics on our bills. After being connected with an operator he pulled up our account and told me what our total balance was. It was $1,550. I was really confused and thought at first that he had the wrong account open because of the bill we had just received. Not to mention the one right before that for $1,000. He told me that a few days after the larger bill was sent out our insurance covered another $900, but it didn't show on the statement. And the hospital also discounted another $2,000, bringing our new balance to $1,550. When I asked him what this amount was for he told me it was for the surgery and everything included that day. I couldn't believe what I was hearing - I was in total shock! After I got off the phone I called Tyson and let him know the news. We were both really excited to be saving more money.

What started off as an $8,000 day in the hospital ended up being less than $2,000. This is such an amazing blessing for us. We know that the Lord is watching over us during these trying times and wants us to succeed. We feel so blessed to know that with our faith we have been able to receive wonderful blessings. We are so blessed!
Image via Google Image Search

11 comments:

Jarae said...

Bills ARE such a big stress in life. I am so glad that you didn't have to pay the total amount. What a relief. Glad everything worked out for you guys.

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

A similar thing happened to us when we were buying our first house. We knew we couldn't afford the price, but we were prompted to buy it anyway. Things ended up working out and it was one of the biggest blessings ever. I'm glad things have worked out so well for you guys!

Amber said...

Mom told me about that! That is so awesome that it dropped that much. It's amazing how certain days you realize how truly blessed you are. I read your post and thought of che and I. WHen I got the job at the hospital, or when Che got the job at the site. I know the Lord is always watching over us and has to give us trial in order for us to grow stronger. It's just so amazing. Love you sis

Kristi said...

That is such a relief! Money is so stressful!

Steph said...

I just heard on the radio that 9 out of 10 hospital bills have errors. They said you should always call to get a breakdown on the details. I bet you're glad that you did.

Chelsi said...

I think bills are one of the most stressful things that come with marriage. I can't tell you enough how much paying tithing truly blesses our lives. Thanks for sharing that exciting news with us! You deserve it.

Judy said...

I'm hearing ya! The doctor vistit at huntsman to just talk to him about surgery wes 600 dollars. I HATE to get the bills. It makes me sick. It is going to be a killer. It is the best place, but it is way expensive!

Adam and Brittany said...

Eww..I hate medical bills! There are so many after you have a baby, just wait! I'm glad everything worked out for you guys, that's great!

Ashley said...

I think it's really great that you are saving money, but even greater that you are keeping a postive attitude and choosing to see your blessings. Good for you girl!

Todd & Chelsea said...

That's so wonderful! I definitely relate w/ all the stress from medical bills. And w/ being newley weds that's just not fair:) With my trip to the E.R. and all it seemed like the bills would never end! I'm so glad things got worked out!

Unknown said...

I'm glad everything worked out okay. A girl I work with was telling me about all these ways that doctors can overcharge or make mistakes with their billing. What a relief!

Post a Comment