Monday, November 3, 2008

A Nightmare Come True

Those of you who know my family know that we are the owners of O'Connor Cabinetry. My dad started this business a few years ago after quitting his previous job at the site with a love for building custom cabinets and other millwork, and he has never looked back on his decision. Our experience Sunday morning was no less than a traumatic event, but also something we have no choice but to learn from.
. . .
I woke up on Sunday morning at about 7:30 and couldn't sleep anymore. I had spent the weekend in Idaho with my family and had gotten a lot of wedding plans done in the mean time. All I could think about that morning was how much I didn't want to drive back to Utah. At around 8:00 the phone rang, and I heard my dad panicking about something. The first thought that came to mind was that someone was hurt or even dead. So I jumped out of bed and walked into the living room where my dad was throwing his coat on over his suit. He left the house before I could ask him what was wrong. When I found my mom she was in tears and told me that the cabinet shop was on fire. A friend of my dad's was driving by the shop (located in Rigby) and saw the flames. He called my dad immediately, who left right away. Amy had heard the commotion and came upstairs to find Mom and I frantically trying to put shoes and jackets on. The three of us jumped into Mom's car and drove out to the shop.

By the time we got there we saw fire trucks, police cars, and a lot of smoke. It was raining that day and I hadn't realized what I was wearing till I tried running through the mud in what appeared to be flip flops on my feet. When we ran up to the building we saw smoke coming out of all the windows and fire men spraying water inside it. We tried to go around the front of the building but there was too much smoke. So we sloshed through the mud around back to figure out if the fire was out and how much damage was caused. I couldn't see any flames (which I was thankful for) and there was a lot of smoke. But I think the worst sight of all was seeing my dad standing there in complete devistation. Besides family and friends, this cabinet business is his life. It is our livelihood. And the center of it all was on fire. It was a horrible sight. Amy and I called Amber, Che', Britney, and Aaron, and we also called some of my parents' closest friends. They all eventually got to the shop to see what we had been watching all morning. We were all a wreck, it was horrible.

The firemen were able to put the fire out and left around 10:00 while the rest of us stayed to look over the damage. It was hard to look at. My dad and his employees had been working on a couple of jobs, and all the cabinets were inside the building. They were all destroyed. There was also machinery inside that was ruined. Hopefully we'll be able to salvage some of it. The building had been taped off for safety, so we had to look from the outside. It was a sad moment for our family. And the rain made it so much more depressing. My grandparents also came out after a while and were very supportive as well. We definitely appreciated everyone being there for us.

After staying for a while longer we all knew there was nothing more we could do. So we decided to head back home. The family came back to the house and we talked about what we were experiencing. I was so glad all my siblings and their spouses were there. And Tyson came over when we got back to the house as well. It was comforting having him there with us. Dad wanted to take the sacrament so we all got ready for church and went together as a family. It was the first time we'd all been to church together with all the spouses and everybody there. It was so great, and it felt awesome being there with everyone. The spirit was so strong during fast and testimony meeting. The word had gotten out to some of the ward so we had people approaching us after the meeting was over.

When we got back to the house, Tyson's mom brought us over some homemade soup for lunch. It was so nice of her to do that, we really appreciated it. It was so soothing to eat hot soup on such a cold, sad day. And once again, all ten of us squished around the kitchen table that normally fits 6-8, and we shared a meal together as a family.

I'll never forget the way I felt yesterday morning. It has almost felt like a death in our family to all of us. It has been a very emotional couple of days. I am lucky enough to have a job that let me stay in Idaho for an extra day to be with my family. It was a horrible experience having to go through what we went through. In the end we found out the fire started in the spray room after a couple of rags at the bottom of a garbage can combusted. Definitely something to learn from. I'm so grateful that no one was hurt. We are all ready to move forward and get the business going again. We will have to build a new shop. But for now we're going to rent somewhere to get things up and running. I'm grateful for a family who loves each other and pulls together when times are tough.

. . .

This is a time for our family where faith is going to play a large role in our daily lives. But we're ready to move forward. And I know we can get through this. My dad has a lot of people standing behind him right now, and I know we can all move forward together.

20 comments:

Danny and Kaelynn Baird said...

I feel like there isn't much to say, but I am so sorry that that happened. I am glad you have such a wonderful family and that you are all there for each other.

Judy said...

Oh Alli! This makes me sick. I am so emotionally tied into your dad's cabinet shop.I have been in that shop. I LOVE is work. I LOVE my cabinets. I am heart sick for you guys. I love your parents and consider them some of our best friends. Your dad is the best guy to work with and he strives to make his costomers happy. I am so sorry. I will have to call your mom. I hope and pray that every thing works out for them. I love you guys.

Coleman, Ashley, Cash, and Presley said...

That is so awful! I'm so sorry! Sometimes some of the best things can come out of the worst situations! just keep your head up and look for that silver lining!

Criscell said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so very sorry! What a horrible thing to happen. Like something from a nightmare, really. I'll pray for you guys.

Lott's of Love said...

Hi Alli, I read about the fire in the paper this morning and I was sick for your family. I know the road ahead will be tough on your family but it's so awesome that you all have each other to lean on and support each other - that's what family is for! Best of luck to your family in rebuilding their business. I'm sure it will all work out. We love your family! Kent and Ingrid

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

Alli, I am so sorry to hear that. I know you are all strong and that together you will all be able to pull through this. There's probably not a lot that I can do, but if you think of anything, please let me know.

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

Alli, I am so sorry to hear that. I know you are all strong and that together you will all be able to pull through this. There's probably not a lot that I can do, but if you think of anything, please let me know.

The King's said...

I can't believe it, I am so sorry for you guys. I am glad that no one was hurt and that you have so much support around you. I hope that everything works out but I know it will because you have such a strong family!

Adam and Brittany said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss Alli! It's such a blessing you have a big family that an help support each other. Good luck, hope everything works out. Don't let this put a damper on the wedding planning, try to enjoy it, it goes by soooo fast!

Katie Lee said...

our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. You have such a strong family and strong testimony and we appreciate your example to us. we love you.

Katie Lee said...

our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. You have such a strong family and strong testimony and we appreciate your example to us. we love you.

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

So sorry to hear about the fire-that is awful!! I hope everything is worked out soon and that it gets going quick. Your dad does such beautiful work!

Holly said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. What a tragedy. Hopefully it all works out for your sweet family!

bb,tonya and cam... said...

so sorry that your family had to go through this horrible experience! our prayers are with you guys!

Neal and Angie said...

So sad to hear about your Dad's shop. What a horrible thing to experience, I can't imagine what your family is feeling! You are definitely in my thought and prayers!

Amber said...

Thanks for posting that Alli, we have so many wonderful friends and family that are behind us. Our family is so lucky to have them all in our life. Love you so much Al

Kasey said...

I know you will be hearing this a ton, but I am extremely sorry for what happened! It's definately sickening. I know your family though and I know yall have the stength and closeness to be together for each other. I'm glad you are all there for each other. Best wishes and luck to you and your family! Love you! Have a happy day! Lataz~love always, Kasey

Kelsey said...

Oh my gosh! I am soooo sorry! That is horrible news and I'm truely sorry for your families loss. You are very strong people and I know you'll get through this. Let me know if there is ANYTHING that I can do!

Chelsi said...

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear about this. I know that Heavenly Father will bless your family for your faithfulness. Keep us updated on how things are going.

Kate the Great said...

Wow, Alli this entry was touching to me..to hear how through trial you and your family were able to work together with love. I'm glad to hear no one was hurt and I pray that things will continue to move forward for your Dad's business. Good luck. I love you!

*Katie*

Post a Comment