Thursday, September 4, 2008

Life as a Public Relations Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

Greetings from Utah! I made it here on Monday and everything is going really well. I'm living at the side of the mountain in Farmington, south east of Lagoon, and the view from my bedroom is amazing! Uncle Bob, Aunt Penney, and their girls Ashleigh (18) and Kayleigh (10) have been so great, and they've really helped me feel at home.

My job at Richter7 has already gotten off to a great start, even though I've only been there three days. I was terrified the first day, but my nerves calmed down quickly. Everyone is really nice, and I've already started making new friends. I was immediately thrown into a lot of work, including writing and editing press releases, and meeting with clients. But today was a big day, and by far my favorite! It was so fun! Here's what happened:

One of our clients is the Dairy Farmers of Utah. The Utah State Fair starts this weekend, and we are doing a lot of work for this particular client. One of which includes advertising for the Butter Cow - a sculpting event where a life-size cow is carved entirely out of butter. Pretty crazy! Today, a nutrititionist with the Dairy Farmers of Utah was doing a segment on Studio 5 - the 11:00 news broadcast for KSL channel 5 news. At this time the two anchors do broadcasts about home and family living. Our client (her name is Rachel) was on to talk about nutritious lunches for kids and how parents can teach kids to eat healthier. My job, along with my supervisor Abby and my fellow intern Amanda, was to bring all the props for the segment and get them set up on the kitchen set. We had to arrange everything perfectly to look good on the camera. Nothing out of place! All labels had to be turned a certain way, and we pretty much had to make it look really good. So we did, and we pretty much rocked it. In public relations, we are there to help our client look good in any case. Even if that means we have to tell them what to say. We had previously e-mailed the anchors a list of questions they should ask Rachel, then we e-mailed Rachel the same questions and also ways to answer each of them. And she did such a great job! She was very relaxed and focused.

I've included our segment on this post, and I'm so excited to share it with everybody! My very first project as an intern...I can't believe it! It was completely behind-the-scenes work, which I know is silly that I'm so excited about it, but it was a lot tougher than most would think! Plus, it was my first big task for Richter7. Keep an eye on that fruit plate and how good of a job arranging I did ha ha. It took some time to get everything just right to fit in the lighting perfectly! Not to mention the Barbie thermos I got to keep. You'll understand what I mean when you watch the video!




I can't believe how much fun I had today! I worked closely with the producer and set people, and I learned so much from all of them. I know I'll have even bigger projects to come in the future. But this made me feel so good about being in the world of public relations and working with real businesses! I had a great time today, and I am really enjoying this job so far! Thanks to all of you for your support during this exciting time! It's been awesome reading such nice messages from so many friends and family!
__________________________________
On another awesome note, Tyson is coming to see me tomorrow night and I'm so excited! I can't wait!
I also want to do a birthday shout out to my Grandma O'Connor! Her birthday is today, and she's spending the next week or so with my aunt Patti in New Jersey. So I'm sure she's having a great birthday!
I love you, Grandma!

12 comments:

Greg said...

Love the Barbie thermos! And I have to say, I laughed out loud when the guy jumped and sort of freaked out when he dropped his script! That was freakin' GREAT!

Jessica said...

That is awesome Allison! How exciting. Glad you are having a good time!

Judy said...

It looks perfect! Good job! What a great experience. I'll bet you are so good at this! I am so proud of you. Like my own daughter!

scsattnco said...

That's so neat! What a fun internship. The countertop display looked great!

Todd & Chelsea said...

Alli that is so exciting!! I totally would have posted about it! The fruit does look amazing:) I'm so glad to hear things are going well, I'm sure it was hard adjusting etc. Live it up!!

Amber said...

I'm glad I got to see your amazing fruit, it truly is perfection ha ha. I'm so happy that it is going well for you. I miss you so much!!! I can't wait for you to come home and visit! Anyway, I love you! Have a great day!

Drew and Michelle said...

Congrats on the big move... and Good Luck with this new adventure in your life!

Katie Lee said...

I'm glad everything is working out for you! How brave to take a job in another state- I don't know if I would have the guts- I would miss my family too much! congrats on everything!

Neal and Angie said...

So happy you're loving your internship! That's going to be such a great experience! Hope Utah's treating you good. How long are you there for? Good luck this next week!

Hailey said...

I was wondering last week how your first week was going! I'm glad that it went well, and I hope you're still liking it. We should definitely get together soon!

Ashley said...

Its good to stumble across your blog. I am glad to see you are doing so good just thought I would say hello
coleman moore
ashncole.blogspot.com

Kate Call said...

welcome to utah!! i had the hardest time when i first moved here right after i graduated from college.. but now i LOVE it and it really feels like my second home (nothing compares to good ole I.F!!) hope you are getting settled.. and that the utah cute boys are getting brave enough to ask you out! yummy friut!!!

Post a Comment