Monday, February 8, 2010

We Tried the Chili

Our sis-in-law, Britney, posted a delicious recipe for White Chicken Chili
on her blog and we decided to try it last week. It was so yummy! We really liked it. One thing I would do differently for next time: add less cayenne pepper. I liked the way it turned out, but both my mom and Tyson's stomachs had a harder time with it. I used one teaspoon and will probably use a half teaspon next time. Another thing I would do differently is cut the recipe in half. But only if I'm making it for just the two of us. This makes a pretty good size batch. And overall it was great! We really liked it. Thanks again for posting the recipe, Brit!

***
White Chicken Chili

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 small white onion, diced
6 to 8 cloves or garlic {or about 3-4 Tbsp of minced garlic from a jar}
1 - 7 oz. can diced green chiles, strained
2 - 15 oz. cans white beans, unstrained
4 c. chicken broth
1 tsp chicken buillon granules {I used 1 cube}
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne {I used a full teaspoon but will start using a half at the most}
1 c. sour cream, plus additional for topping if desired
3 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese {I used 2 cups and it was perfect}
chopped fresh cilantro
chopped roma tomato

Cooking Instructions

1. Cook the chicken by your desired method {I boiled mine}. Cool and tear into pieces. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion is translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the chicken, chiles, beans, broth, chicken buillon, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Simmer 30-45 minutes. Chili can be made ahead to this point and refrigerated or frozen for later service.
4. Add 1 c. of sour cream and the cheese {sprinkle in the cheese a little at a time so it doesn't all clump together}. Continue cooking until the cheese is melted. Keep warm until serving.
5. Serve in bowls and top with cilantro, tomatoes, and additional sour cream. Enjoy!

For more of a soup consistency, add up to two more cups of chicken broth.

7 comments:

Britney O'Connor said...

Haha, I TOTALLY should have mentioned that! My sis did the same thing- and no one in my family would eat it because it was too spicy. I've done 1/2 teaspoon from the get go so we didn't have a spicy issue at all. Sorry about that :)

Judy said...

Yum!!!!!

Kristi said...

Yum! Thanks for all the tips- maybe Clark and I will try it out soon.

Chelsi said...

Yay! I heart new recipes ;)

Whittney and Ryan said...

yum i am going to have to try that!

Adam and Brittany said...

Mmmm...that sounds and looks yummy!

Criscell said...

Hey, so I'm totally behind on blogging and I had no idea you were pregnant!!! CONGRATS, that's so exciting! So happy for you guys!!

Post a Comment