Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Passed!

I had the ever-so-famous glucose tolerance test at the doctor's office today. I'm not going to lie, I was nervous! I've just heard so much about it and how gross it is:

"It's like drinking a can of Mountain Dew with an extra cup of sugar in it."
"It tastes like you're drinking cough syrup right out of the bottle."
"You'll never want to drink Sprite again."

After getting checked in and getting my blood pressure taken the nurse asked me what flavor I wanted for the drink. I chose orange. The physician's assistant and his wife at my doctor's office are friends of mine, and she said out of all the flavors she's tried the orange was the best. So I went with it! I was told I had ten minutes to get the little 10 oz. bottle drank, then I needed to keep track of what time I finished.

So I opened the bottle at 10:42 and went for it. I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It tasted like Sunkist without the carbonation, but with a little more sugar. However, I'm not used to drinking a can of Sunkist that fast! Or anything, for that matter. I struggled for a bit. Three minutes later I was finished and onto the rest of my appointment.

My belly measured well, and the baby's heart beat sounded great. Phew! Always a good thing to hear. The doctor answered a bunch more of my crazy questions that I had for him {Is it bad that I haven't felt the baby have hiccups? Is my weight gain on track?} and then I sat in the lobby reading my book for 40 minutes before going back for the blood test. Just moments after the nurse pricked my finger she told me I was normal and in the clear for gestational diabetese. Yes! I thought for sure I had ruined my chances after that week of wanting to eat nothing but candy and sugar ha ha. But I was actually quite far under the maximum number to have before you've got it. The one thing the test showed, however, is that my iron is a little low. I need to be eating more red meat. Guess Tyson needs to take me out for a steak! Dang.

Happy appointments sure are great.

{PS I went right to Subway after my appointment for some food. I ordered a footlong sub. Yes, a footlong. But for the record, I ate half of it at noon and the other half at around 2:00. Totally worth it!}

image via opticsplanet.com

12 comments:

Amber said...

Yay! I'm glad you had a great appointment. I would definitely not argue with the steak thing. I love my red meat ha ha. And props to you for the footlong! Honestly I just get that every time because it's cheaper and I can eat it for luncn and dinner! Happy that baby Miller is doing good! lOVE YOU!

Kasey said...

I am glad it went well for you! I HATE that test..in fact, I put it off for three weeks this time because I HATE it so bad!! I am sick enough as it is and that much sugar just kills me and I can do nothing else the rest of the day! I am SO HAPPY it was NOT that way for you!! My iron is always low on those..low enough they make me take extra iron because I am anemic (SP?) when I am preggo and right afterwards. I'm SURE your doc will, but keep track of your iron that way they will monitor your blood loss when you deliver! HAha..It sounds like you have a great doctor though and I am sure he will!! Love you and love hearing the updates on your babe! Have a happy day! Lataz~Love always, Kasey

PS..glad you had a good Valentine's Day..I love the story about Olive Garden cause Cory, Gage, Taya, and I had a bad server experience at IHOP in Ogden last week and it totally reminded me and made me laugh!

Unknown said...

I'm glad it went well. That orange "beverage" isn't so bad, but I def. haven't forgotten it.
How nice to know that the baby's healthy! Hopefully you'll be blessed with a long, healthy pregnancy. I don't want to see Mr. Brysen for atleast 8 more weeks! And isn't Dr. Leavitt the best??

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

Ooh, I'm glad you got orange. That's the only flavor I've ever had & it hasn't been as horrible as I've heard too. My sister in law went to a doctor that had her eat a snickers & a can of pop for her test...not fair, I want that doctor! We'd all be a little happier if they would all let us do that!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

Glad things are going well. BTW-the first part of the glucose test isn't too bad. If you fail the first test and have to do the second it is BAD!!;)

Judy said...

Oh Yea!!!!!! So glad it went well. When I did that I got the shakes so bad after...... ate everything in sight. (I have insulin resistance) it was the pitts. I (HEART) ya!

K&B Forever said...

That is hillarious!! I had that test yesterday too! They wanted to test me early which is the same thing that happened with my mom with all of her pregnancies! I had the fruit punch flavor and it really was not all that bad! It was just very sugary!!! haha It tasted like fruit punch gaterade with like 20 extra cups of sugar hahahahaha! Not to bad though! Glad your appointment went well. :-)

Charles Family said...

I am so glad to hear the test wasn't that bad. I have to take it next time I go in. I'm really nervous. I actually already have my bottle of nasty stuff to drink and sadly I didn't pick orange. Hopefully fruit punch is ok. Did you have to wait an hour after starting the drink or finishing it? I'm glad baby is doing well!!!

Kasey said...

Oh yes..Sha reminded me..I had to do the test TWICE with my first two pregnancies because they were twins and it made me at higher risk..but negative each time! ICK!!

Russ and Kristen said...

I get to do mine tomorrow, and I think I'll get the Orange flavor. My sister said it tastes like Tang...here's hoping! I'm glad all went well! :) I think after passing a test like that, you deserve a steak dinner! :)

Morrows said...

So glad you passed. That test made me super sick! I failed the in office one and they had to send me to the diabetes center to take the 3 hour one! Not fun! Glad to hear Baby Miller is doing great!!

Abe n Linz said...

I agree that it wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. But, I guess everyones' body is a little different.
Glad everything went well.

Post a Comment