Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Feeling Discouraged

There is no doubt about it. We are living in difficult economic times. Multiple businesses are experiencing drops in revenue and are found struggling to keep up. I don't own my own business, but I do make my own money from my own guests.

I have been working in the restaurant business for over 7 1/2 years and I've really enjoyed it. I am currently a server, and lately I have really hated my job. I love the people I work with and I love interacting with all the guests in the restaurant. But it is the part where the guest pays me, they leave the restaurant, and I have to look inside the little black book that makes my stomach turn in knots. It is always a great feeling when someone leaves a good tip for me. I feel positive, excited, and it makes my day. But anymore I'm just happy if people leave me a tip. The tips have been horrible lately. I blame the economy. Tips have dropped like crazy and it has been so hard trying to make any money. I always give great service after doing this for so long, and I feel my happiness that I express at my tables slowly melt away as book after book contains less and less money. Some people don't even pay their whole bill, causing me to have to make up for the rest.

Today I drove home especially discouraged after making tips averaging 9% of the sales. A lot of people, knowing that servers get tips off their tables, assume we make good money. They also assume we make minimum wage. Yes, sometimes we do make good money. But we definitely don't get minimum wage. I wish. I make $3.35 an hour as a server, which forces me to rely on my tips. I get really frustrated when I hear that minimum wage is going up because servers aren't included in that. The fact that we get tips means that we don't get as good of an hourly wage. So instead we feel the hurt from everyone else coming to eat not wanting to spend a lot of money. Where I work people are getting a lot of great food for not a lot of money with all the deals we have going on. But they don't seem to think they should tip very well or at all along with the good deal they're getting. And I don't even get all the of the tip that is left. I give some of it to the hostess, bussers and bartenders. Two dollars turns into a heck of a lot less. After days like these I can't help but leave for home in frustration. It is a lot of work to be a server. It is a tough job both physically and mentally. I wish everyone knew how tough it really is.

My opinion for bad tippers is this: If you don't want to leave a tip or plan to leave a bad one, please do take-out or go somewhere that you don't have to tip. After all the time and work that goes into one table, it is not worth it when we make a dollar. The staff at fast food and other such restaurants are making a higher wage than servers, and they don't have to worry about tips.

As a server I'm here to serve you, and I do my best to make your experience a great one. But know that we rely on you. We do our job because we love the interaction with guests. We love to talk to people and give them a good experience. But my attitude is slowly changing because I can't afford to do this anymore. I really do appreciate tips I get, but the $2 on a $32 check isn't worth it after the time I spend to serve the table. I'm paying more in taxes on my paycheck than I am taking home to pay my bills.

We're all in a bind with this crazy economy. I want everything to work out for the best for everyone who is feeling the crunch. As far as eating out at sit-down restaurants goes, if people don't want to tip a server they shouldn't be there.

15 comments:

Ashley said...

I TOTALLY AGREE! I hate mean tippers. Not because I have ever been a server, but because I have had close friends tell me the same sentiments. I am so sorry that your feeling the crunch. I hope it gets better.

Joanie said...

I remember when I first started serving, I didn't really pay attention to my tips. I knew what my tip was if I typed it on the cc, but otherwise I didn't really count it. I must've been too busy or something. Ryan was a server at a different restaurant and he mentioned that he always gets in a bad mood when he gets a bad tip. So, at some point, I started paying attention. I think it was better when I didn't because it really does put you in a pissy mood. Then you have to wonder if you did something wrong or if they were just jerks, etc. But I'm sure it's the economy. I think Ryan and I have maybe eaten at a sit-down-and-tip restaurant once in the last 6 months. (Okay, not because we are suffering from the economy, because we have been lucky in our jobs, but because we have whiny kids and we don't want anyone to have to listen to that). Regardless... we are good tippers. Because we've been there. I think everyone should be a server at some point in their lives (as well as a telemarketer, just so they learn to be nice).

Is that comment long enough for you?

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

I totally agree with you! I only waitresses for a little while in high school, but since then I've always been a good tipper (maybe I'll come see you!) I hope things start looking up for you! Miss ya tons!

Charles Family said...

I am so sorry Al. I'm sure it is horrible right now. I hope that things start looking up for you because Carinos really is a fun place to work.

Judy said...

It is so sad when people get good service and don't recieve a good tip. I know that I have had bad service and still tip 15%. It is important for me to tip good. I try to put myself in their shoes. (makes my feet hurt thinking about all that walking!!!!!) I love to go to Johnnys when I get you!!!! You are the best! :)

Unknown said...

How annoying!! I would be pretty ticked if I got a 2$ tip with a 32$ check. My biggest pet peeve are cheap people. Ugh. I'm getting in a bad mood just thinking about it.

TacieB said...

I'm so sorry Alli! I know you do such a great job and deserve so much more than what people give. I agree with what was said earlier. Everyone should have to work in food service at some point in their lives just to appreciate good servers like you!

christine said...

So frustrating! I've been working at my parent's restaraunt for a little while and have defitinely noticed the tips getting worse. I feel the same way that if people aren't planning to tip well or can't afford a nice tip, don't go out to eat. My husband and I always leave 20% or more if the server is really good. We'll have to come visit you. Some days I feel it's not even worth it to go to work-especially having to leave my kids. Like the other day when it was a $52.00 bill and they left me a buck. Thanks!

Kristie said...

I agree with everything that you said. We always try to leave a good tip when we go out. Because I always think about how this is there job and this is how they make money and if I were them I would want a good tip. And your right, you go to enjoy your meal and be served and you should tip good. Because they did there job and you enjoyed yourself. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this right now. It's no fun to worry about everything else we have to do in our lives and then you add stuff like this into it and it just makes you so mad and it makes life no fun. I hope that things get better for you. Hang in there. :)

Morrows said...

My mom manages a Resteraunt in Boise called the Piper Pub and Grill. She has taught us to be very generous tippers! I will have to come and see you! But I totally agree. And I can't believe that people really don't pay the whole bill and just get up and leave! RIDICULOUS!

JKGROSS said...

That sucks. I'm sorry that is happening. I guess the only way to look at the positive is that you have a job during this horrible time...but yeah it sucks when people don't tip good. I'm sorry.

Boyd Fam said...

I couldn't agree more. Since my hubby works at chili's we've had lots of talks about rude tippers and how everyone should serve tables once in their lives so they understood how it felt to work so hard to give someone good service and have them leave nothing. Its awful!!

The Woods said...

We know how you feel!! We'll make sure we tip you good everytime we come in. You're the best!

Steph said...

When I worked as a waitress, the restaurant would make up the difference if my tips didn't add up to minimum wage. Hopefully yours do, even though minimum wage isn't that high and probably lower than what you're used to. Dang economy!

Russ and Kristen said...

Oh I hear ya!! It's been so bad at Macaroni Grill too! Did you know that Oprah had a financial dude on her show a while ago and told everyone to still go out to eat, just tip less. Yeah whatever. It makes me so mad! And some people think the "Verbal Tip" is just as fulfilling as the actual tip, but boy, your kind words and crappy tip don't pay my bills! UGH!! So, I'm with you on being discouraged about your job!...at least we have one...I have to tell myself that on my way home from a crappy night! I hope it gets better for you! :) (Oh and to go with your $2 on $30... I had a 4 top leave me $2 to make it an even $37 and another 4 top leave me $4.91 to make it an even $55.... I LOVE MY JOB!!!)

Post a Comment