Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Nightmare Almost Come True

We all have nightmares or fears that we hope we will never have to experience. For me, one of those moments happened last night while I was at the gym.
_______________


I was running on the treadmill in my apartment complex gym at about 9:15 pm and I was watching the Utah news. I had my music going so I turned the captions for the TV on so I could read along.

They eventually got to a story about a car accident on I-15, just north of Salt Lake City. A car was trying to change lanes and apparently didn't see the car that was in the lane they were changing into. The car in that lane tried to swerve out of the other's way and hit the concrete barrier. The person in the second car (that hit the barrier) was killed, and her name was Danielle Perry. After I read the name of the girl my heart stopped and I hit the emergency stop button on the tread mill. I pulled my ear phones out and turned to the girl on the machine next to me and asked her the name they just said on the news. When she said "Danielle Perry" I immediately broke into tears. A friend of mine, Danielle Perry, recently moved to Salt Lake City with her husband who is a news anchor for channel 2 news down there.

As I gathered my things together I had a million thoughts running through my mind. I couldn't comprehend anything, except for the fact that quite possibly a friend of mine could be dead.

I walked back to my apartment in tears. When I got there my roommates were gone. I was alone, and I didn't know what to do, who to call...It was horrible. So I called another friend of mine who is also a friend of Danielle's. She tried calling Danielle and her husband, but neither answered their phones. I could only think the worst at this point.

So I searched the internet like crazy, looking for some answers. None of the news web-sites gave any information, and if they talked about the accident they didn't give any names. I even called my parents and asked them to watch the Utah news at 10:00. It was 9:30 at this point and I was beginning to panic.

By 9:45, and after a lot of internet searching and tears, my friend called me back and let me know that she just talked to Danielle and she was fine. We both sat there in tears but were laughing at the same time. What a relief!! I was so happy to hear the good news. And to top it all off, Danielle is pregnant with her first baby. So exciting! And much better news to hear than what I had thought. I called my parents back and let them know she was ok. They were very relieved as well.

There is nothing worse than finding out a loved one has passed on. But to see it on the news first has got to be one of my worst nightmares. I was so glad when it wasn't true. I can't even tell you how much that freaked me out last night! I was in a major panic, ask my mom and dad. It made me realize how quickly life can change. I'm grateful for my friends and my family, and I just love you all so much!

_______________

I am happy for my friend's safety, and at this time my thoughts and prayers are with the friends and family of the real Danielle Perry that passed away yesterday. I hope they can feel the loving spirit of our Heavenly Father during this trying time.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my goodness, that would be horrible. I'm glad she is ok. You probably saw us in Walmart, I didn't see you though so don't feel too bad. :) I guess I kinda zone out getting my groceries.

Britney O'Connor said...

I am so glad everything turned out okay...those kind of situations are terrible.

Brad said...

Wow that is intense. What a heart stopper! I'm glad everything is ok though. I guess we can definitely take something from experiences like this...like you said, it helps you realize how important family and friends are to you.

Judy said...

Wow. I could feel your pain. I have had experiences like this... I am grateful that she is ok...but morn for the loved ones of danielle. Makes us appreciate our lives and not take our loved ones for granted. Hope you have a great week. was fun to see you pictures of your friend! Hope and pray you are doing good. we are all good. Coming out of the stomach flu! Love ya!

Post a Comment