Friday, October 1, 2010

The Problem with the World Today - The Arctic Circle Story

Sometimes we find ourselves in situations where we have to make a decision. A decision that we ask ourselves "What would you do?" Or in this case, "What should I do?"
...
Our evening started off with Tyson's parents and our nephews Easton (8) and Cooper (6), and niece Kate (2) (and of course Brycen) at a very cute and cozy pumpkin patch in Idaho Falls. We were the only ones there and we took a lot of fun pictures. It was such a fun and nearly perfect evening. I enjoyed being there so much with everyone.

After the pumpkin patch we decided to get a bite to eat. The kids chose Arctic Circle because of the toy area. (It was that or McDonald's, and the adults weren't having any of that!) So we went to the crazy busy Arctic Circle and visited while the kids ran back and forth from eating their chicken rings and strawberry milkshakes to climbing around in the play area.

The place was packed but seemed to be settling down as we finished our food. As we started packing everybody up to leave we heard this lady (Tyson says she wasn't a lady, just female) yelling (seriously, yelling) at the woman behind the counter. She had just come from the drive-up window and had gotten the wrong food. After explaining the food she got that was wrong she started asking if the fries were fresh. Did I say asking? I meant screaming. She was screaming at the guy making the fries demanding fresh ones. And her voice...oh, her voice...the sheer volume and pitch were enough to make you nervous and want to run away. And also make your furious. Especially as a person like me who works at a restaurant and has to deal with people like her all the time. Our group sat and listened as she continued to ask who the general manager was and that she wanted to call him at home to tell him how awful his drive-up staff is. All I could hear were phrases like, "What is wrong with you people!" and "Aren't you capable of getting a simple order right?" It was embarassing. And Tyson was fuming, ready to say something to her. I naturally got nervous at this idea and begged him not to say anything to her. It wasn't our business and I was afraid of what would happen next.

So then she walked away from the counter with her free and oh-so-fresh fries. I was packing up Brycen when I heard out of Tyson's mouth:

"Do you feel better now? You were yelling loud enough, did you get what you wanted?"

That did it. I immediately looked the other way as I heard her yelling at Tyson about him butting into something that wasn't his business. He proceeded to tell her she was...let me remember how he put it...ah yes. White trash. And an embarassment. So naturally she used a two-letter phrase that started with a word that begins with "f". That's when things got a little more interesting as Tyson's parents came into the situation. His dad told her to watch her language and that she should just leave. Dang right! When he said there were children around she said, "What children!" Did I mention Kate was in his arms and the boys were right behind me? Seriously.

The arguing continued and eventually the two managers on duty came over to tell her to leave. She, of course, was incredibly rude back to them. That's when I told her that she had no right to treat these people the way she was treating them and that she was being very disrespectful. She got what she wanted, right? And aren't you always going to get what you want when your food is wrong? Do you really have to yell at the poor people? So many thoughts of being at the restaurant I work at were going through my mind and how much I hated those moments where the guests were so incredibly rude. And treating me like a servant. Just like this woman was treating the Arctic Circle staff tonight.

So much was said that I can't even get to all of it. But let's just say that Tyson brought his phone out to call the police and didn't, and this woman had no good comebacks.

Our group walked out and the lady yelled behind us, "You mormons! Why don't you go to your mormon church on Sunday!" Good one, lady. Was that supposed to be an insult? For one, you have no idea if we're members. And two, thanks for assuming that mormons stand up for people and do the right thing. Because you just served us a compliment! I've never been so happy to be a member. It was great agreeing with her and saying, "Ok we will! But actually we have General Conference on Sunday so we'll go next week."

As we walked out we couldn't help but laugh right out loud. How crazy was all of that?! Along with the laughter were apologies to the kids for what just happened. I'm sure they had a great chat with Grandma and Grandpa in the car ride home about confrontation and bad language.

The woman came out as we were getting in our cars. She kept screaming the same comment about mormons and going to our mormon church on Sunday. Then Tyson said something back to her that may have had something to do with going back to her double wide and frying something. Actually that's exactly what he said. And all she could say back was, "You'd be surprised." Again, good one.

That "lady" is what is wrong with the world. She walked into that establishment and acted like she was so much better than anyone else there. Like she was the most important person in the room and everyone else were her little servants. After all was said and done, I was glad that Tyson said something. I thought of that show "What Would You Do?" and being frustrated at the people who just sit there as others are being tormented on some level. I have always thought that I would do the right thing and help those people. But the situation presented itself and I didn't say anything until my husband had the guts to do it himself.

It felt good to leave there knowing we stood up for those staff members. And we could tell that they appreciated it and gained confidence of their own. As servers and staff members in retail and other such places we are required to let the customers have their say and let them be "right." But as the outsider and the person who doesn't work there when I see something like this happen, I'm not going to have it. Those employees may not be able to say anything for themsleves, but from now on I'm going to. After tonight I think I can do that. I want to be able to do that. And while this person was the extreme situation, I think she was preparation for when I find myself in a similar incident later on.

To that woman, wherever you are, I hope you are home with your family and friends furious about those mormons who told you what to do. Because while you're doing that, those mormons will be watching General Conference and learning more about the right way to treat people.

13 comments:

Russ and Kristen said...

As soon as I saw your facebook post about this, I had to rush to read this! I can't believe her!! And WAY GO TYSON! Good for him for standing up! People like her drive me craaaaazy!!! I've been screamed (literally) at by a restaurant guest before and I've vowed that I will never let anyone speak to another human being the way I was spoken (screamed, yelled, and cursed) at!
P.s. I LOVED her "Mormon" comment! It gave me a good chuckle! :)

Vandy said...

Tyrel says that he would almost 100% guarantee that she is a Syringa customer :)

Amber said...

Oh man, this post made my day! I'm so proud of you all. I would have done the same thing. Go Tyson for being the first one to stand up. Sometimes that can be hard to do that and I'm so glad you guys did. What a wench!

TacieB said...

Way to go Tys!!! Alli, I know I would be so uncomfortable too. I'm so bad with confrontation. I know it would have been very difficult for me to take the first step & stand up to that "lady".

Kristie said...

I LOVE this story!! Good for you guys to say something. I was laughing so hard at Tyson's comments. This "lady" sounds like she was something else. I've worked a lot of jobs where you have to have deal with the public. And I always Hated it when people would act like. I always thought to myself do you think if you yell louder at me you'll get what you want and feel better about yourself? And because people have treated me bad When ever I have to deal with other people at other place I always try to be really nice to them. If they do make a mistake I try to be nice because I know what it is like to be yelled at. GREAT STORY!!!!!

Kristie said...

Oh one more thing. I wanted to know what pumpkin patch you went to I want to take Mason to a fun one this year but I have not heard about any around here. The one that you went to did it have some fun things??

McKenzie @ Girl Loves Glam said...

I laughed out loud! I TOTALLY know that feeling! Way to go Tyson!

Judy said...

Good Job Tycen......These people need to be put in their place. I'm sure the Artic Circle people appreciated that!

Charles Family said...

TYSON, YOU ARE AWESOME!!! That is the most wonderful thing I have heard in a long time. I am so glad you all stood up to that mean lady. Poor Arctic Circle people!

Ashley said...

Wow, intense! I can totally picture that being my family and my husband, and me reacting the same way...embarassed. But your right, we should step in more often. Good for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Outstanding, you two! I still have a hard time seeing Tyson say all those things, but I guess I don't know you two as well as others. I am very impressed that you stood up for the little guy. I too, have worked in jobs like that, and it is refreshing to see people ACT like they care. You guys are awesome!

K&B Forever said...

oh my goodness Alli!! haha I never would have thought Tyson to be a person to say stuff like that to another person. I loved it! Brandon and I were laughing so hard while reading this! I love it! Good for you guys for standing up for those people! I do not think I could have! :-) miss you guys!

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

Oh my gosh Alli! I'm so glad someone was there to stand up to this woman. Some people these days are so disgusting!

Post a Comment