Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Appointment Results

Brycen is nine months old today! Too crazy. Tyson and I both went to his appointment this morning and I was so glad. Not only because it helps to have the other spouse there to give the doctor information, but I found myself once again sick last night and was feeling super weak this morning. Tough few days for the Miller's!

First off, here our the measurements for our growing boy as of today:
  • Height: 29 inches (75%)
  • Weight: 22 lb. 9 oz (80%)

We were able to talk to the doctor about how sick Brycen has been. He didn't have a fever this morning, which we were very grateful for. Last night was just too scary for us. We received some tips on what symptoms to look for as signs of dehydration. So far it looks like Brycen is doing really well on that end (no pun intended) and has good coloring. No sign of dehydration just yet. But we've been advised to keep an eye out. He said that where Tyson and I have been so sick it is pretty common for the baby to get sick too. We should be more worried if he gets sick and nobody else is sick. Makes sense. I'm so glad Brycen checks out well! Such a blessing.

Here are a few other notes from the doctor:

  • Brycen has really good posture and sits really well. The doctor's words were, "He sits like a champ."
  • Brycen's head is growing really well and looks great.
  • We will be getting a car seat delivered to our house today. The doctor says not to feel rushed about getting him in a car seat. As long as we're comfortable holding the carrier we have we should just use that. Something interesting: The doctor recommended we keep babies in a rear-facing car seat till they are two years old. This hasn't become a law yet, but laws follow recommendations. He believes it will be a law in the next couple of years. I'm glad I shouldn't be stressing over getting Brycen in a car seat just yet. I've felt a little pressure from others in this area but haven't felt ready myself. So I'm feeling a little better about it.
  • Brycen tugs at one of his ears all the time. We thought he has had an ear infection but apparently he just likes to tug on that ear. His ears look great.

It was such a blessing that we had this appointment today. I scheduled it three months ago after Brycen's six month appointment, and he just happened to get really sick this week. We probably wouldn't have been able to see his doctor this week if we hadn't already scheduled that appointment in advance. I'm so grateful today for the way that worked out.

4 comments:

Joanie said...

I'm glad Brycen is doing okay. Being sick is not fun, especially when you are a mom. But being sick and having a sad, sick baby must be SO hard. Are you guys feeling any better yet? Because I would love to bring over some food or run to the store for more juice or something for you. I'll call you later.

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

What a cute and growing boy! So glad he was okay. It is absolutely awful when your baby is sick and nothing can be done. Just horrible!! It is pretty amazing how much you can love someone. Hope you all get on top of things soon. Love ya!

Oh and it looks like a great Christmas-loved the little santa suit.

Unknown said...

I'm glad things are getting better for you guys! We just had the "flu" for 24 hours then it dissapeared just like that. Sounds like you have the real flu that lasts for days, which totally sucks.
Sorry about baby Brycen! I read you last post and it brought me back to when Lillie got really sick when she was 4 months old. It's definatly not easy for any parent to go through! I remember Angie telling me that it was kindof important for babies to get sick (a little sick, not like, terminally ill sick) because it builds up their immune system or something. She said that babies that never get colds or fevers their first year usually end up being the kind of adults that are always sick. It made me feel better at the time when she told me.
And I hope I'm not pressuring you into changing your carseat around too early! Gosh! Now I feel bad. I know that different states have different requirements, so that was 3 years ago in Utah. I remember it was 20 pounds or 1 year then, but I'm sure it's changed, and now I need to go read up on it! I hope I'm doing everything right with Jack... It's funny how even after 2 kids I still don't feel like I know what I'm doing! Anyway, I won't judge you even if you have him stay rear-facing for the first 8 years of his life!!

Anonymous said...

I am glad Brycen is doing okay. And hopefully recovered fully by today! The only input I have on the car seat is that some carriers have height limitations on them. That's why we ended up putting Kyra in her next step car seat, but she was still facing backwards. The reason rear-facing is safer is because the car seat will absorb the impact of a collision instead of your child. Most of the time people do not use their infant carriers the way they were meant to be used. For example, our infant carrier's handle is meant to be placed back in the car instead of in the carrying position. This is so the seat in front of the carrier will activate the child seat forcing it into the seat the baby faces. As much as you don't want your child to kiss the seat, the carrier creates a shell around your baby protecting him from further and more serious injury. Most parents leave the handlebar in the carrying position to hang toys and such on. That's not what it was designed for. Sorry, I have very strong opinions about car seats! Can you tell?

Post a Comment