Sunday, June 10, 2012

Missing My Baby

6 days old and wide awake during his 10 am feeding
Last night was the first time I've had a full on meltdown about Carter being in the NICU. I'm pretty sure I've been in shock all week because it hasn't even been hard leaving him there like it was with Brycen. When Brycen was in the NICU I bawled every time we left the hospital. I felt depressed and could hardly stand what was going on. It could have been because he was my first child, and having to be in the NICU made things so much harder. It's hard to explain how difficult it is to be pregnant and have a connection with the baby, deliver, then leave without them. My tummy was empty and I had nothing to show for it when I came home. And now we've made a full circle and we're back to square one, doing this all over again.

I survived a week with Carter in the NICU. I'm really excited about that! And I'm really grateful that it hasn't been hard for me having him there this entire week. It's been a blessing that everything has gone so well since he was born. Everything has been so surreal. Last night I was lying on the couch and I saw a commercial for I'm not even sure what product. All I could see was a dad with his new baby, talking about all of the pictures he's taken of his child on his phone, and then he loses the phone. Father's Day was thrown in there somewhere too. That was the tip of the iceberg for me. I cried uncontrollably and thoughts of Brycen's NICU stay were flooding my mind from out of nowhere. It's moments like these were I'm especially grateful to be married to a therapist! Tyson always knows what to say and how to say it to make me feel better. He brought up what happened last Saturday and how lucky we are to have Carter with us. He also talked about the wonderful care Carter is receiving in the NICU and that he's in the best place he can be right now. There's no way we can take care of him at home right now. As he was sitting there telling me these things and talking me through my tears I realized that not only was he right, but I already knew all of this. I just needed reminded.

Tomorrow will be the ninth day that Carter is in the NICU. Brycen was in the NICU for a total of nine days and it was the longest nine days of my life. This first week with Carter in the NICU has flown by, and I'm just now reaching the point where it's starting to drag and feel painfully difficult. I only hope and pray that I can do this-that we can do this-and that the Lord will allow us to bring our baby home in a shorter amount of time than what's in my head, and that Carter will truly be ready to come home at that time.

I feel like The Little Engine that Could saying to myself, "I can do this again. I can do this again. I can do this again." I'm grateful that Carter doesn't have a whole bunch of problems and issues like so many babies out there. At this point I can only hope that I can have the strength to continue what we've been doing for the last week. We are so grateful to have Carter here and that he is safe. I've said this before, but I know that the Lord had a hand in what happened last weekend and we feel so blessed. So now all we have to do is get through the upcoming weeks and hold our heads high. I know we can do it. With faith, prayer, and all of those other wonderful things we've been blessed with, I know that we can do this and bring our baby home soon.

3 comments:

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

I can't even imagine leaving my baby at the hospital, you are so brave. Love ya Ali!

McKenzie @ Girl Loves Glam said...

Now I am about to bawl! This just brings back a flood of emotions. I remember all too well the moment that I finally just broke down. Dave wasn't at the hospital with me, my poor mom was the one that got to talk me through it. Those dang NICU babies can be so hard. You just think "why can't you keep your body temperature up? Is it really that hard? or Just swallow? Seriously? Swallowing is why we are stuck in here?" I believe that the NICU is one of the world's biggest testing zones for patience that there is. But it is also the most safe place for baby Carter to be right now. Dave and I look back at NICU pictures and think "How the heck did they sent that sick baby home with us?!" Even when Harper was ready to come home, she still looked so sick! The NICU won't keep Carter in there any longer than he absolutely needs to. I know it is so very difficult and seriously if you need to have a breakdown via skype or phone, call me! We love you guys!

Unknown said...

I can't even imagine, Alli! When I was in holding little Carter I loved it, but when it was time to go, I felt like crying. I was trying to make light of things so Tyson didn't see me cry! It was so sad driving away and knowing that he was there all by himself (okay, so not really, cause those nurses are amazing.) and he's not even my baby!! You're right, this will be a trial, but Heavenly Father will give you strength to get through it. The whole reason we came to Earth was to gain experience, and you guys are def. doing that! You must have already been blessed with the timing of everything, and how quick the last week has gone by. It might be hard, but even if he's there for 4 weeks, you'll still have 48 weeks with him before he turns 1. Plus, you'll be all healed up and ready to tackle on those sleepless nights. We love you guys, hang in there!!
P.S. You'll be the one I call when I need someone to talk me through all this stuff!

Post a Comment