Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter

This year marked our very first Easter without our families. We were on our own this year and I have to admit, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was dreading celebrating such an important day without our families. But spending it with my own little family was pretty special. We had a nice, quiet day together and we enjoyed one another's company. We decided not to make a big fancy meal or anything, instead having one of our favorite go-to meals: peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches with chips. Our moms will probably feel sad for us when they read this, but Moms, it was just great! We had a nice day together as a family and it felt good to be with my boys.

Here's what Brycen's Easter basket looked like:

I have to admit that Tyson and I are not big fans of the Easter bunny. However, the idea of an Easter basket is always fun for kids. We decided for our family tradition to give the Easter baskets to the kids on Saturday. But we won't be telling them that a big bunny is bringing them-just a little something from Mom and Dad. (Is it just me or are Easter baskets looking more like stockings on Christmas morning these days?) Easter Saturday will also include egg hunts and other such activities. Still fun for everyone! Sunday will be dedicated to remembering the atoning sacrifice and resurrection of our loving Savior. Such a wonderful thing to celebrate.

Of course Tyson and I started off our family tradition with a flop this year and forgot to give Brycen his basket yesterday. Oops! We gave it to him when he got up this morning.

And he sure was excited about those plastic eggs! Or "ball", as he calls them. We went pretty simple this year and gave Brycen a Charlie Brown Easter pop-up book, some candy, and plastic eggs filled with even more candy.



 He loved opening the eggs with Dad. Lots of fun surprises inside!

And he especially loved his new book. ($1 special at Seagull Book! Don't mind if I do!)


Time to get dressed for church!
My aunt Bridget (my dad's youngest sister) provided Brycen with his Easter outfit this year. We always get one for him and she ended up getting him one for his birthday. It was so thoughtful of her and we just really appreciated the gesture. Thanks, Bridget! 

My handsome boys all ready for church.

Don't let that sweet face fool you. He's a cute kid, I admit. But once he walks through the doors of the church house he's an entirely different kid. He was out in the lobby before the opening song was over today. Tyson ended up taking him for a drive after the sacrament because he threw such a big fit. I played the piano for the primary kids today or I would have let Tyson stay and enjoy some of the meeting too. They were back by the end of sacrament meeting just in time for another colossal meltdown from Brycen. I ended up taking him home and Tyson filled in for my calling. Sigh. One of these days we'll make it through church without the meltdowns!

5 comments:

Britney O'Connor said...

He is so cute. I don't blame him for the church meltdowns ;) haha!

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

I love the simple Easter. It seems like everything is getting so big it's not fun anymore. We have the same problem at church lately. It's so hard to feel like it's worth making the trip! This phase too shall pass. (not soon enough, right? ;)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you guys had a good day!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

We did the same thing with the basket this year,simple and on Saturday. What a cute Easter boy.

Neal and Angie said...

What a handsome little man that Brycen...love his Easter outfit! Ya know you're more than welcome to come hang out with me anytime while we're in SLC I get bored and don't have a car I'd love to see you! :)

Post a Comment