Tuesday, April 5, 2011

And Then He Turned One

Once upon a time a baby was born. The day was April 5, 2010 and the time was 10:48 am. He weighed 6 lb. 2 oz. and was 19 inches long. It snowed that day. So much that this baby’s daddy had to leave the hospital to go snow blow the driveway. Everybody loved this baby. His parents named him Brycen.


018[1]


Brycen’s life started unlike other babies. He spent the first 9 days of it in the hospital with a feeding tube in his nose. It was very hard for his parents, but they loved Brycen so much they would do anything for him. Everyday they went to the hospital and stayed for hours, waiting for Brycen to be able to eat on his own so they could take him home.


087[1]


After 9 days full of family, friends, nurses, doctors, and lots of love, Brycen was able to go home with his mom and dad. They were so happy to have him home and snug in his own jammies and bed. Brycen was also very happy to be home.


055[1]


As time went by Brycen grew.


DSC_0213[1]


And grew…


DSC_0110[1]


And grew…


DSC_0745 edit color dreamy[1]


Until one day he turned one year old.


DSC_0366 edit color


His mom put the celebration wreath out on the front door (which she will post a tutorial for later in the week) for everyone to know it was Brycen’s birthday.


DSC_0343 edit color


She couldn’t believe he was already one! She and Brycen’s daddy loved him so much, more than anything in the world. They were so happy and proud to be Brycen’s parents. And Brycen loved them too.

***

And now, here we are. A year has passed and I’m not really sure how it happened. To think it was only a year ago that I was lying in that hospital bed about to give birth five weeks early. I was terrified but knew that everything was going to be alright. I had Tyson there with me along with my sisters, my mom, and other supportive family members who came in and out. Little did I know that my nicu baby would turn out to be such a good baby. Brycen has been a really good baby from the beginning and has been such a joy in our home. I am so grateful for this past year and how wonderful it has been. My life has been forever changed, and I can’t imagine it any other way.

Here are a few current diddies (a word my mom has used many times throughout my life) about Brycen:

  • My younger siblings Amy and Adam are clearly two of Brycen’s favorite people ever. I have never seen Brycen get so excited when he sees people like the way he gets excited seeing Amy and Adam. Amy is a super fun person and makes a lot of funny noises and faces. Brycen loves it! She and Adam also hide around the stairs at my parents’ house and peek around the corner at him. He loves it!
  • Brycen smiles like a little cheese ball these days. He’ll squint his eyes and grin the biggest grin he has. It is really funny and we love it.
  • Brycen hates Gerber baby foods that are mostly bananas. He struggles with the banana textures. His favorites are pears, apples, and others with similar textures.
  • “Timmy Time” and “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse” are Brycen’s favorite shows. When he watches “Timmy Time” he sits in front of the TV and watches the entire show. The episodes are only about 14 minutes long, but they have Brycen’s attention for the entire 14 minutes. Sometimes I’ll just hit “start over” on the TV and he’ll watch the same episode over and over again.
  • He loves his cousins. He has since he was old enough to see them. I love watching his cousins play with him and find so much happiness and joy in doing so. I love the excitement on their faces when they see Brycen come in the room. I’ve loved the many nicknames he’s been given by them throughout the last year (Brycee, Bryce, Rycee, Bwyseen, etc.)
  • He is a very photogenic little guy. Whenever I get my camera(s) out he knows exactly what to do and gets right to posing. Of course this only lasts for about five shots. But those first five shots are always the best.
  • Brycen is quite the comic. He has the ability to make people laugh wherever we go. Our families get a kick out of him and all the funny little things he does.
  • Brycen sits in poses where he looks like a cheerleader. He sits in all sorts of funny ways that is legs bend. His uncle Dustin and cousin Lillie sit in similar ways (not cheerleader poses but with legs bent funny) so we think he’s going to sit just like them.
  • Brycen has been offered a kids menu and crayons when going out to eat at Carino’s and Red Robin.

4 comments:

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

What a cute one year old boy! Can't believe it.

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

He's adorable Alli! Happy birthday Brycen!

Amber said...

I can't believe how much I love that little boy. Happy Birthday buddy, I love you! Great job on your wreath too, by the way! :)

beckywestergard said...

happy birthday to little Brycen!! They grow up so fast :-)

Post a Comment