Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Time Takes Time

Time takes time. My great friend and former roommate, Katie, helped me come to this conclusion this evening. I was on my way to Rexburg tonight to spend some time with our former roommate, Sydney, and I decided to give Katie a call. I hadn't talked to Katie in a while, and during this particular conversation we discussed the frustrations of enduring trials and not being able to know everything all at once. Recent events have led me to struggle with this concept. How nice it would be to know exactly what my future holds for me so I can have a peace of mind and feel that comfort of knowing for certain everything is going to turn out all right.

I would love to see where I'm going to be in a year or two so I could feel better about the trials in my life right now. But how would I learn anything about myself and my life if I had all the answers at the beginning? If life were easy, we would have nothing to show for our time here.

President Boyd K. Packer said: "Life will not be free from challenges, some of them bitter and hard to bear. We may wish to be spared all the trials of life, but that would be contrary to the great plan of happiness, 'for it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things' (2 Nephi 2:11). This testing is the source of our strength."

I'm grateful for my trials because of the blessings that come from enduring them. I may not feel grateful at the time, but in my soul I know that there is something better that will come because of how I deal with my trials. I know that although I may struggle at times, things will eventually get better. And I will always have a loving Heavenly Father by my side. He will never leave us, especially during times of need. And it is at these times in our lives when it is especially important to keep that closeness there. All is well when we have an eternal perspective.

_____________________________________


"Be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
(D&C 68:6)

____________________________________

I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who loves me and knows me. I am grateful that though I now often feel alone and wonder why my life has taken the turn it has, He is there to comfort me. I'm so happy to have the family and friends that I have and how supportive they are. Time takes time. And as much as I want all the answers now, I know that is not possible. There is too much I have left to learn about myself before I can have all my questions answered. If life were easy, it wouldn't be hard. In the words of President Gordon B. Hinckley: "Just do the best you can, but be sure it is the very best. Then leave it in the hands of the Lord."

11 comments:

Britney O'Connor said...

I whole-heartedly agree with this post hun. I am so sorry for what you've been going through but you're a strong, amazing, sweet person and I know it's happened for a reason and it's hard...but soon enough you'll understand why and you'll be so much happier. Keep your head up girlie!

courtnee said...

wow...you just gave me the chills. what a sweet testimony you have. thank you for sharing with all of us. it is so easy to forget sometimes what is most important, especially when struggling with trials in our lives. Our Heavenly Father does love you and He will hold your hand through this time....be open to whatever He has in mind. I promise it is better than you can even imagine right now. How do I know this? Because I never would have married Jon, had He not played a vital role in getting us together. Heavenly Father knows best, and we just have to let things happen on His time. Be patient.

Talia said...

Hang in there girl! At least Greys Anatomy starts again next week!!! I'm in need of my dosage of Alex Karev!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Danny and Kaelynn Baird said...

You are such an amazing girl and I'm glad I have had the chance to get to know you. The funny thing is I am learning more about you than I ever did while I was working with you. I know it doesn't always help hearing it from other people, but everything does work out. It works out and then there are more trials and things to learn. :) Life is awesome and strange in that way. I feel lucky that I know such a wonderful person. Keep your head up. :)

Todd & Chelsea said...

Sorry you're having to learn this wicked lesson. It sucks. I'm guessing this is realted to boy troubles...? If so, I'm so sorry. I say to hell with them. HAHA jk. I'm having to learn this lesson myself for a completely different reason...I get it logically but not emotionally I guess. Nonetheless, it's good to hear that you have a good take on things. Thanks for the reminder. Hang in there.

Amber said...

Hey Al, just wanted to let you know how much I love your post. You obcvioulsy know what's most important, I'm proud of ya sis. You are so strong and most of all so is your testimony. You will be just fine! I miss you already, love you

Kate the Great said...

Alli, I loved reading your testimony and I'm very grateful that the Lord has given me the opportunity to have you in my life. You are such an amazing person. I'm so glad that we can openly talk about everything and anything. I'm glad you called me the other night because it too helped me gain more peace of mind on some of my struggles. You have a beautiful testimony and I feel so blessed to have it in my life. Love you!

*Katie*

Charisa and Trent said...

you're amazing Alyson.... and i'm happy to hear that you're just like me. :o) it's times like these that are less than easy but it's obvious that you've put your trust in the Lord. know that He loves you. hang in there.

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

Hey Alli,
Sounds like life is hard right now. I really hate that!! Just wanted you to know that I care and am thinking about you. I am grateful for your friendship, especially when it seemed like there weren't any other real friends around. Hang in there!

Love ya-Sha

Neal and Angie said...

Alli, I know this is like a month after this post but I wanted to share with you one of my favorite quotes that is helping me through tough times too! Pres. Hinckley said "It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers." I just read this and realize how truly blessed my life has been even though times can be rough. I sure love you and I've been thinking about you.

Post a Comment