Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Boys Will Be Boys! And a Confession

Yes, the news is true! Baby Miller #2 is a boy! We just got back from a weekend in Idaho Falls with our families and we had fun telling them our news. Even though a lot of them wanted us to be having a girl, I think they're happy with a little boy instead. This will make four grandsons for my parents and four grandsons in a row for Tyson's parents (they have three granddaughters and two more grandsons to add to the bunch). My mom's parents' first four grands were boys as well so she's following in their footsteps. The oldest of those four grandsons of my grandparents' is my brother Aaron.

I'm very excited that we're having a boy. Now. Here is where my confession comes in. I was so sure that this was going to be a girl. And I think it was because I really wanted a girl next. In my mind as I pictured us telling our families I thought of us saying, "It's a girl!", but then I'd quickly say to myself, "Hold on, this could be a boy." Yet I still had this idea of "girl" in my head. With Brycen I could just tell he was a boy. I had the feeling and just knew it in my heart and soul. With this one I think it was more of a desire than anything. When we got into the doctor's office and she started the ultrasound I was getting nervous for the big news. Then she turned to Brycen and said, "Time to see if you're going to have a little brother or little sister! And it's a...brother!" And there was the proof...boy parts and all. And my stomach sank and I was bummed. I hate to admit that I wasn't happy with the news. This is my child we're talking about here. Tyson was there and just laughed when he heard the news. He was excited.

Tyson went back to work and Brycen and I went back home. I walked in the front door and got Brycen some lunch. I was truly sad when I got home and totally bummed out. I felt like crying. I wanted a girl so bad and now I'd have to wait for the next time around where hopefully we'd have a girl. I walked around the house and tried to snap myself out of the sadness I was feeling. We would be leaving for Idaho that night and I still had a lot to do. I pulled myself together to do it and got excited to see our families.

We stayed at Tyson's parents' house over the weekend and enjoyed a lot of family time, including Amber's two baby showers on Saturday. On Friday night Tyson and I had the opportunity to go to the temple with my parents, grandparents, Che', and Adam for Adam to go through the temple for the first time. I hadn't really thought about the baby much that day but was so excited to be at the temple with family. The session had barely started when the baby entered my mind. I thought about him the entire time I was in the temple...and it was wonderful. I felt at peace with the fact that we were having a boy and I was all of a sudden really excited. I thought about him being close in age to Amber's baby, Tayen (coming in March), and Aaron and Britney's little guy, Boston (almost 6 months old). I thought about these three boys playing together and most likely being in the same grade. I thought about a name for this little boy and couldn't get it out of my head the entire time we were there. And I felt an incredibly strong love for this little boy. I also felt a lot of guilt for how I'd been feeling about him over the last couple of days. My eyes filled with tears thinking about the thoughts I had about wishing so badly he was a girl instead. I hoped and prayed that he wasn't sitting up there in heaven learning how his mom felt about him while I was having those thoughts. That is still hard for me to think about.

By the time we were finished with the session I felt so peaceful and lucky to be the mom of such a special little boy. Over the weekend I talked to family and friends about this little boy. They all told us how fun it will be to have two boys together and how they'll be buddies. It made me even more excited to be having a boy.

I hope this little boy knows how excited I am for him to join our family this summer and how much I love him. He's my child, and it doesn't matter if I ever have a girl because these are my children. There's nothing like the love a mother has for her child. It's funny how you look at your child and wonder how you can love another as much as you love them. I did this with Brycen. But now I know it is possible and it's already happening for me. We're truly blessed to be having a boy and I'm so excited for Brycen to have a little brother.

5 comments:

The King's said...

Believe me I know all about wanting a girl and finding out I am having another boy but you hit the nail on the head. I felt lose when I found out our third was going to be another boy but then I had feeling similar to what you described. These are my children and no matter the gender I love them dearly and know that they were put into my life and my care for a reason. I am excited for you and your new addition! I hope your pregnancy is going well.

Abe n Linz said...

Congrats on another boy! It is so fun having my two little boys and knowing that they could become the best of friends!!

karrie jo Winder said...

I think we're in the same boat. I too wanted a little girl, but I got Crosby! He's great and I know that he and Beck will be best buddies, but IF I have another one, I will be very, Very, Very upset if it's not a girl. This Mamma wants a little girl!

Tony and Janna Long said...

oh huney! i had the same thing with my Kian... i felt for sure it was a girl and at 17 weeks the dr. said he was pretty sure it WAS a girl. i bought clothes, had the nursery all figured out, had the name... i was so excited cuz one boy for dad and one girl for mom and i would be done and it would be perfect and easy and i was done. then at 20 weeks... my baby had grown a peter! i cried during the ultrasound. not that i didn't still love my baby boy... but it just changed every plan i had. it took a long time to be ok with it though. but by the time he was born i was totally ok with it and love the idea of my 2 boys being good buddies as the get older. now i just have to worry about the next one. it will be my last and i hope God realizes how much i want that little girl and how very very disappointed i will be if it is not. thats probably wrong of me... but i just want a little girl. so i understand completely! glad that the trip to the temple changed your mind about this new little boy joining your family. you will love seeing brycen with his little brother. congrats!

Amber said...

I'm soooo excited!!! I am so happy that Tayen gets a cousin that's so close in age and the same gender! I do know how you feel to a point. Everyone wanted me to have a girl and eventually I started to believe that I would have one! Then I just really wanted to have the FIRST girl since I couldn't have the first grandbaby. Anyway, there was definitely some sadness for a minute but mine went away quick because I really didn't have a strong feeling of what I was having and I was just grateful I was even pregnant ha ha! I've also heard tons of people who have felt guilt when they were "disappointed" in the outcome of their ultrasounds so I say you are completely normal! But I'm so happy that you had such a great experience at the temple, that seems like it helped out a ton. I couldn't be happier that you're having a boy! How fun for Brycen too. Those two are going to have so much fun! Love you Al! Congrats to your cute little fam!

Post a Comment