Monday, July 30, 2012

So You Didn't Want It Washed?

Something funny happened this morning that I wanted to write down so I'll never forget!

This morning started off like any other: Carter asleep on the bed while Brycen and I watch Disney Junior, breakfast soon after, blog updating...After all of that was done I was out in the kitchen when Brycen came in with his blanket. He had a big smile on his face and pointed to the pantry while talking his regular jibberish. I could tell he was talking about his blanket, but I wasn't sure what he wanted. I followed him into the pantry where the washer and dryer are also. He pointed to the washer and held up his blanket.

I asked, "Do you want your blanket washed?"

He kept pointing and talking about his blanket, then he lifted his arms like he wanted me to pick him up. I picked him up and he reached down to lift up the lid on the washer. I was a little leery of what was going on because he hates it when his blanket gets washed. Needless to say, I was scared of the outcome. I pulled the lid up and he proceeded to put his blanket in. I helped him out and kept asking him with a bit of concern, "Do you want your blanket washed?"

Then he pointed to the Tide pods. I opened the container, picked one up to show it to him, asking again if he wanted his blanket washed, and he pointed to the washer (again with a smile). So in the pod went.

At this point the water would come on. I hesitated to do anything more and was ready to pull the blanket and pod out when Brycen pointed to the knob to turn on the washer. I said, "Are you sure you want your blanket washed?" And in fluent jibberish I'm pretty sure he told me to turn on the washer. He pointed and pointed, all the while with a smile. So I turned on the water and closed the lid. He clapped and I was happy. Great! He wants to wash his blanket! That means I don't have to hurry and do it sometime while he's not looking.

I put him down and started walking out of the pantry. That's when the meltdown of the century happened. Brycen started screaming and screaming, begging for his blanket. I told him I thought he wanted it washed, but that didn't matter one bit. He wanted that blanket back and he wanted it now. I picked him up, opened the lid, and we watched as his beloved blanket was getting soaked by water. He cried and cried. Then he hit me. And cried. Then hit me. Then cried. (He's in quite the hitting phase.)

I tried to explain that his blanket was getting a bath like he gets a bath. That didn't work at all. I had nothing. 

In the meantime, Carter woke up crying and needed changed and fed. Brycen cried the entire time I changed Carter, still lovingly lying next to him petting his head like usual. He followed me out of the bedroom crying and continued to cry as I gave Carter a bottle. At one point he walked up to me in anger and put his hand out like he was going to hit the baby. He took that raised hand and, changing his mind, gently set it on Carter's head, then pet his hair softly. Right after that, he smacked me right in the face. I couldn't help but laugh at the drama.

After the blanket was done washing I had to run in and put it in the dryer. He followed me, saw his blanket come out, went to hug it, then in shock started crying because it was wet. I tried to explain that it was time for the blanket to dry, but that didn't matter. Thankfully, the dryer worked at super speed and the blanket was dry really fast. Brycen is now happy and watching a show with his blanket and "Melmo". Talk about drama!!

6 comments:

Ben and Becky said...

That is the funniest story! kids are so hard to figure out sometimes :)

bb,tonya and cam... said...

Oh life with a two year old...this made me laugh so hard because cam is in the exact same phase and when he tantrums all communication goes flying out the window. It's a fall down oh so dramatic no no no flailing and hitting drama fest so glad I'm not the only one dealing with this...we should get our boys together soon :)

Laura Railing said...

Awww poor Brycen! That would be *so* traumatic for a kid!! It's hard not to chuckle when they really want something and get it and realize just how much they do *not* want it!!! Glad your dryer dries fast!!!

Kristi said...

You are one patient woman! That would have drained every last shred of patience in me, esp if the baby woke up in the middle of it. Glad you can take the drama and laugh. That is quite the episode!

Amber said...

Ha ha that is hilarious! I can't believe I just barely read this post. I laughed out loud really hard. Brycen cracks me up.

nicole said...

So fun to record this so he can read it someday!!!!!

Post a Comment