Wednesday, July 27, 2011

From the Best to the Worst

Not too long ago I could call myself pretty much the best blogger around. I felt like for a person who had a busy life with a baby and a job I was doing pretty darn good at keeping track of my life. Now the best blogger award goes to my cousin's wife, Vandy, and my friend, Joanie. The point is I'm now the WORST blogger ever. And it's horrible because this is supposed to be my journal/family scrapbook. Gahh!! It makes me crazy to think about how much I've missed.

My life has been ultra busy. I started photography school in June and I've been so busy with other things that I'm still not done with the first lesson. Wow, I said it out loud. Feels good to get that one off my chest! I hate being so behind with that. It's an amazing opportunity that I'm taking totally for granted. This summer has been super super busy and now it's almost over. I'm lucky we were able to take a week long trip to New York in May, otherwise I'd be going crazy right now. With teaching piano, family parties, neighborhood parties, babysitting, Cupcake Diaries, along with many other things...it seems so hard to get other things done. A majority of what I need to get done involves my computer. I'm just now getting a jump on Brycen's first year album (on Shutterfly) and I feel like I need to start his second year just so I won't have to feel this overwhelmed this time next year. I don't take enough pictures of my little man AT ALL. I was queen of this category at one point or another, but now I'm just lame as ever at it.

Speaking of which, I captured this little moment at my parents' house on Sunday night. They had all their kids over for family home evening, root beer floats, and some ring toss. Brycen enjoyed the backyard and all the adventures out there:

Sure do love this boy! Here are a few little tidbits I should probably make note of:
  • He is officially a walker! He took his first steps almost a month ago, and on probably Monday, July 25, he took off. He is now ALL over the place. I love watching him toddle around.
  • His favorite movie is "Monsters, Inc." His least favorite movie is "Up." We tried watching it yesterday and he cried. I think the angry old man scared him a little.
  • He loves eating chicken nuggets, dry fruit loops, Veggie Straws, and string cheese. He also loves yogurt.
  • We're trying to get him off the bottle. Yesterday he did really well all day. Then I went with a friend in the evening and came home to find Brycen in bed with a bottle, given to him by his dad. We're back to square one.
  • I have to put him in his crib during piano lessons. Usually he goes down for a nap and it works out perfectly. But sometimes he is too fresh from a nap and wide awake so I have no choice but to keep him out. That doesn't last very long as he's trying to pound on the keys and open all the books. He usually goes right back to his crib where he plays for the rest of the lesson.
  • He gets compliments everywhere we go about how cute he is. I feel lucky to be the mother of one of the cutest kids around.
  • Only two more months till nursery!
  • He weighs 25 lb. and he's in the 65th percentile for his weight. What's funny is that he gets fat kid remarks from people, and these people have kids and grand kids who are super tiny and in about the 6th percentile for weight. Not that percentiles even matter. But pretty sure 65% is closer to being "average weight" than 6%! (Can you tell it drives me crazy?)
  • Brycen is a great sleeper. Every now and then he has a bad night and has a tummy ache or nightmares or something, but most of the time he goes to bed at 8:30 an wakes up at 8:30 or 9:00. We've been SO lucky to have such an easy-going kid all around. I love my boy.
As for Tyson and I:
  • We are in love with our Jack LaLanne juicer. We just bought one a few weeks ago and we've been juicing everything in sight since. We love getting a Bountiful Basket then juicing the crap out of it. We don't eat nearly as much veggies as we should so we are convinced that this juicer is a great investment.
  • We want to go back to New York. Badly!
  • I currently have 8 piano students and plan to have at least 3 more start up in the fall when school starts. I love the extra income and being able to refresh my mind on what I learned so many years ago.
  • I've started taking more pictures and have now had people start asking me to take pictures for them. This is very exciting for me but also incredibly nerve racking/scary/intimidating. I just appreciate the practice they're giving me though! I just took my sister-in-law Britney's maternity pictures and they were so fun to do. We got some really good ones from that photo shoot. I'm excited to meet my new nephew in a month!!!!!
  • We just had a garage sale and it was LAME. There were at least a gazillion other garage sales going on around us so we had a hard time getting people to come to ours. Thankfully our neighbor was having one right next door. (They're moving, PS, and we're sad about it.) We did, however, make some extra money so we're happy about that! Everything that didn't sell went to the DI. And it was fun to hang out with some of our family on a Saturday morning/afternoon.
  • Tyson and I are still serving as executive secretary and 2nd counselor in the primary presidency in our ward. We love our callings and our ward. I'm thankful for the friendships I've made in our ward. There are a lot of people I can call good friends and it is the coolest thing.
  • I just did cupcakes for a wedding for the first time and they turned out really well. Their colors were dark purple, neon green, and white so they were really fun to do.
  • We saw the last Harry Potter movie and it was wonderful. I want to go back and see it again!
I need to put blogging back on my priority list. It makes me sad to see the month of July with on 2 posts. Boo. I'm ready to get back into gear and get it together! You'll definitely be seeing more of me on here! (Those four people who still read this blog ha ha. Thanks for staying faithful!)

12 comments:

Britney O'Connor said...

Number 1- Brycen is easily the cutest little boy I know, and I love EVERY single roll. I love tubby babies...and I hope mine is too! :)

Number 2- you're a GREAT photographer and I'm lucky to call you my sis-in-law! My maternity pics turned out better than I could have imagined!

Number 3- sometimes life gets too busy to blog. I feel like I've done SO many things these past few months, but I still have nothing to say. Haha.

Love you glisty!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

I check pretty much everyday and yes you are slacking!;) Haha! Life is busy. Enjoy the rest of your summer. Get back on board after the chaos settles. That is what I am telling myself. But then again, if I don't, it doesn't have any eternal value.

It sounds like life is great. How exciting (and nerve racking I agree) to get some photog opportunities.

And Brycen, cute as can be. With my girls I get comments on how tiny they are. With Garrett I get comments on what a moose (actual words from someone) he is. The truth is, they are perfect just the way they are no matter what. Sad that we and society start labeling them so young.

Anyway, glad to see what you are up to. Love ya!

Russ and Kristen said...

I have to agree with Britney on every account (well minus the sister in law and maternity pictures part!) But I LOVE her maternity pictures (Britney, I don't know you but you are one of the MOST ADORABLE pregnant gals EVER!) you did a such a great job on them, Alli!
Next, I want to punch those people who call Brycen a fat kid! He is so darn handsome! (I love the picture of him on this post!)
Lastly, I agree about putting blogging on your priority list! I updated mine for the first time since December! Yeah, I'm horrible! Maybe the next time I'm in IF I'll book a photog session with you! :)

Idaho Reids said...

I know i'm one of those who thinks brycen is a chunk but that is because mady isn't even in the 0 percentile and i love rolly babies. John was always sad that mady didn't have big chubby cheeks and all that fun stuff. I have noticed that since he has been mobile he has lost some of his baby rolls and is looking like a little boy. SO CUTE! I can't believe he is walking! more work for us moms but oh so fun! :)
Lovya

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

I think I take the #1 spot right there with ya. I've been a horrible blogger, but you've motivated me to catch up & keep it going. Thanks Alli!

Kristie said...

YEAH A POST!!!!! Don't feel bad I've been doing the same thing. I for sure need to get caught up before the holidays start which seem like they are just around the corner. and COME TO NEW YORK WITH US WHEN WE GO!!!!

Judy said...

Fun, busy summer. What photo school are you doing. I have loved doing that. I loved the course I took. Took me 3 years, so glad it's over. Love you!

Joanie said...

Sweet! Thanks for the award! I may not be good at much, but I can blog! The only thing that keeps me motivated is how much I love looking back at my old blog books and reading how life was. And my kids love looking at the pictures and seeing what we were up to. It is getting harder, but I'm trying. I figure as long as you're taking pictures every once in awhile, at least you'll have something to look back on.

You should share some of your photography class assignments with us. I'd like to see what kind of things you are doing. And if you learn any great tricks you should definitely share with me :)

Amber said...

Alli, you're seriously like the most talented person I know! Blog post or no blog post, we all still look at your blog, because we love you! You are amazing at everything and Brycen is seriously the cutest kid I've ever seen in my entire life. I just love you guys so much! I just got back from camp and am dying to see you and my nephew! I just may give ya a call here soon. Love you Al! And diddo on what EVERYONE else said. I have the best twin sister ever!

Jarae said...

Alli,

I love reading your posts. Good job at blogging at all. I haven't blogged in almost a year. I just enjoy reading others posts.

I think Brycen is so cute and adorable. Don't let the fat kid remarks get to you at all. Seriously people are just kinda crazy. My second baby is only in the 13 percentile for weight and he gets the chunky baby thing too. I just laugh and say "I know how cute is he." At least Brycen is a healthy boy and that is all that matters.

You need to post some pics of your cupcakes you made from the wedding. They sound like fun colors.

Good luck in your photography class too. :)

TacieB said...

Alli - I think you're one amazing person. I think you are too hard on yourself!

crystal carlson said...

Oh my--Brycen is SO SO cute! He sounds like such a fun boy too! How exciting that you're getting into photography--I thought the maternity pictures looked great!

Post a Comment